Incredible Injectables – Botox & Wrinkle Fillers
A makeover doesn’t have to be extreme! Injectables cause virtually no downtime and can produce significant results. Given the variety of injectables in San Diego and the world market today, you can easily give your face the boost it may need to “freshen up” your look instantly. LJCSC participates in current manufacturer rebate programs. Get the details.
Board-Certified Aesthetic Physician Assistant Lauren Amico Reed
Lauren Amico Reed, PA-C, MMS, is our board-certified, state-licensed Physician Assistant and Director of Aesthetic Services at LJCSC. Lauren brings a wealth of knowledge and skill in non-surgical treatment to LJCSC, as well as the same commitment to safety, excellence in practice, and caring communication demonstrated by our board-certified plastic surgeons. As our lead injector, Lauren works closely with our surgeons to provide beautiful results for our patients. Read more about Lauren’s training and qualifications.
Incredible Injectables in San Diego
Most injectables fall into the category of “fillers” and are designed to fill in wrinkles and depressions in the face. Fillers include such products as Belotero®, Restylane®, Juvéderm®, Sculptra™, Perlane®, ArteFill®, and Radiesse®. These injectables disappear after a period of time.
- Which filler should I choose? Read our Dermal Filler Q&A to find out
BOTOX® and Dysport® are slightly different in that they weaken the facial muscles, thus lessening the appearance of wrinkles and frown lines.
- Do BOTOX injections hurt? Get answers in our BOTOX & Dysport Q&A
Dermal Fillers for Lip Augmentation
Watch as Lauren Amico Reed, PA-C, MMS, uses filler to provide a patient with fuller, more defined lips.
Your Options at LJCSC
As you read the following, you will probably find that more than one of these products addresses your concerns. Patients often have a facial filler and BOTOX® or Dysport™ injections done at the same time. When you meet with Lauren or with one of our board certified plastic surgeons, he or she will able to advise you as to which product or products will best help you achieve your desired result.
- BOTOX®: BOTOX® (Botulinum toxin) is a neurotoxin drug that acts by temporarily blocking nerve pulses in facial muscles. It tends to be most effective in muscles related to expression lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth. It is often effective in areas where fillers may not be. BOTOX® is a very safe and effective injectable and therefore very popular among patients. Read our comprehensive guide about BOTOX® Cosmetic: Not All BOTOX Is Created Equal.
- Dysport® Dysport® relaxes facial muscles. It is made with the same ingredient as BOTOX®—botulinum toxin type A—but in a different formulation. Like BOTOX®, it tends to be most effective in treating wrinkles caused by muscles related to expression lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth.
- Juvéderm®: This product is a dermal filler that is based on hyaluronic acid and works together with the body’s own hyaluronic acid to create volume. Allergan officially released the product in January 2007, and LJCSC was a testing site. Studies show that results last up to 6–12 months. Juvéderm® is effective for the nasolabial folds, under the eyes, between the eyebrows, and for lip plumping.
- Perlane®: This dermal filler is the newest member of the Restylane® family. The difference in Perlane® is the gel particle size. Perlane® gel particles are larger and designed for deeper injection than Restylane®. It works well for severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Radiesse®: Another product within the “filler” category, Radiesse® is made up of calcium hydroxiapatite (CaHA), a primary component of teeth and bones. No skin testing is required. This product has a thicker consistency and is best for deeper nasolabial folds and rebuilding hollow areas. The consistency of this product allows it to last longer than most fillers, up to a year or longer.
- Restylane®: Next to BOTOX®, Restylane® is the second most common injectable. It is a hyaluronic acid filler that plumps up creases under the skin. Restylane® is similar to Juvéderm®. This filler is also used for nasolabial folds, under the eyes and between eyebrows Patients experience results that can last up to six months. Restylane® is the most popular product for creating fuller-looking lips.
- Belotero®: Belotero Balance® is a new hyaluronic acid dermal filler that is formulated to conform to a patient’s existing facial features especially well. It has a soft texture that smooths out moderate to severe wrinkles in the nasolabial folds and around the mouth. Belotero Balance® typically lasts 6 months or longer.
- Sculptra™: Another product in the line-up of fillers, Sculptra™ is composed of poly-L-lactic acid, a synthetic material that does not require a skin test. Again, this product fills in wrinkles and depressions in facial areas such as the nasolabial folds. Sculptra is injected in small amounts so for certain areas multiple treatments are necessary, but results can last a year or more.
- ArteFill®: The first permanent injectible dermal filler approved by the FDA for use in the United States, ArteFill® is a unique combination of purified bovine collagen gel, tiny synthetic beads (polymethymethacrylate), and lidocaine (anesthetic agent). Treatment results with ArteFill® provide the longest-lasting wrinkle correction available without surgery.
Learn about Allergan’s Brilliant Distinctions Program, a customer loyalty program through which you can earn discounts on future treatments and purchases at LJCSC. La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre is conveniently located in the Ximed building on the Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla campus. This freeway-friendly location makes us accessible to all areas of San Diego County. Come and see us! We hope you found this “menu” of products helpful! Keep exploring your Non-Surgical Options: