Incredible Injectables in San Diego – Botox & Fillers
A makeover doesn’t have to be extreme! Injectables can produce significant results with virtually no downtime. Given the variety of injectables in San Diego and the world market today, you can easily give your face the boost it may need to “freshen up” your look instantly. LJCSC participates in current manufacturer rebate programs. Get the details.
Know your injectables: Fillers vs. Neurotoxins
Most injectables fall into the category of “fillers.”
These gel-like substances sit beneath the skin to enhance volume and fill in wrinkles or depressions in the face. Filler products include Belotero®, Restylane®, Juvéderm®, Sculptra™, Restylane® Lyft, Bellafill®, and Radiesse®. These injectables disappear after a period of time. Jump to info about filler options »
Neurotoxins are slightly different.
Toxins include the ever-popular BOTOX® Cosmetic as well as Dysport® and Xeomin®. These products work using Botulinum toxin, a neurotoxin drug that temporarily blocks nerve pulses in facial muscles. They cause the muscles to relax, so they don’t readily form wrinkles such as frown lines and crow’s feet, helping to lessen a chronically worried or angry look on your face. Jump straight to info about toxins »
As fillers and toxins each address wrinkles in different areas of the face (and with different causes), patients often have facial filler and toxin injections done at the same time.
Meet our Lead Injector, Lauren Amico Reed PA-C, MMS
Lauren Amico Reed, PA-C, MMS, is our board-certified, state-licensed Physician Assistant and Director of Aesthetic Services at LJCSC. She brings a wealth of knowledge and skill in non-surgical treatment to LJCSC, as well as the same commitment to safety, excellence, and caring demonstrated by our board-certified plastic surgeons. As our lead injector, Lauren works closely with our surgeons to provide beautiful results for our patients. Read more about Lauren’s training and qualifications.
As you read the following, you will probably find that more than one of these products addresses your concerns. When you meet with Lauren or one of our board certified plastic surgeons, we will able to advise you as to which product or products will best help you achieve your desired result. Curious to know what filler treatments are like? Read our Dermal Filler Q&A.
- Juvéderm: This hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler works together with the body’s own hyaluronic acid to create volume. Allergan officially released the product in January 2007, and LJCSC was a testing site. Studies show that results last up to 6–12 months. Juvéderm is effective for the nasolabial folds, under the eyes, between the eyebrows, and for lip plumping.
- Restylane Lyft (formerly Perlane): This dermal filler is the newest member of the Restylane family. The difference in Restylane Lyft is the gel particle size. Restylane Lyft gel particles are larger and designed for deeper injection than Restylane. It works well for severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Radiesse: This filler is made with calcium hydroxiapatite (CaHA), a primary component of teeth and bones. No skin testing is required. Radiesse has a thicker consistency that allows it to last longer than most fillers, up to a year or longer. It is best for deeper nasolabial folds and rebuilding hollow areas.
- Restylane: Next to BOTOX, Restylane is our second most popular injectable. It is a hyaluronic acid filler (similar to Juvéderm) that plumps up creases under the skin. It is also used for nasolabial folds, under the eyes and between eyebrows. Restylane is the most popular product for creating fuller-looking lips. Results can last up to six months.
- Belotero Balance: Belotero Balance is a hyaluronic acid filler that is formulated to conform to a patient’s existing facial features especially well. It has a soft texture that smooths out moderate to severe wrinkles in the nasolabial folds and around the mouth. Belotero typically lasts 6 months or longer.
- Sculptra: Another product in our filler line-up, Sculptra is composed of poly-L-lactic acid, a synthetic material that does not require a skin test. Again, this product fills in wrinkles and depressions in facial areas such as the nasolabial folds. Sculptra is injected in small amounts so for certain areas multiple treatments are necessary, but results can last a year or more.
- Bellafill (formerly Artefill): The first injectable dermal filler approved by the FDA for use in the U.S., Bellafill uniquely combines purified bovine collagen gel, tiny synthetic beads (polymethymethacrylate), and lidocaine (anesthetic agent). Treatment results with Bellafill provide the longest-lasting wrinkle reduction available without surgery.
Dermal Fillers for Lip Augmentation
Watch as Lauren Amico Reed, PA-C, MMS, uses filler to provide a patient with fuller, more defined lips.
Toxin injections are incredibly popular—over 4.2 million procedures were performed in the U.S. during 2015. When performed by a qualified provider, injections are a safe and effective way to refresh your appearance. The different brand name products are very similar in practice; each has a unique formulation that may make one more closely suited to your needs. Learn what to expect during treatment in our BOTOX & Dysport Q&A »
- BOTOX Cosmetic: BOTOX tends to be used mostly in muscles related to expression lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth. It is often effective in areas where fillers may not be. BOTOX is a very safe and effective injectable and very popular among patients. Read our comprehensive guide about BOTOX Cosmetic: Not All BOTOX Is Created Equal.
- Dysport: Dysport is made with the same ingredient as BOTOX®—botulinum toxin type A—but in a different formulation. Like BOTOX, it tends to be most effective in treating wrinkles caused by muscles related to expression lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth.
- Xeomin: As with BOTOX and Dysport, botulinum toxin is the active ingredient in Xeomin, and it is most effective for treating lines around the eyes and forehead. The difference is that Xeomin does not have accessory protein buffers surrounding the active molecules.
Learn about Allergan’s Brilliant Distinctions Program, a customer loyalty program through which you can earn discounts on future treatments and purchases at LJCSC. La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre is conveniently located in the Ximed building on the Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla campus. This freeway-friendly location makes us accessible to all areas of San Diego County. Come and see us!