While the popularity of certain cosmetic procedures and treatments can ebb and flow over the years, a few options that remain patient-favorites—and rhinoplasty is high up on that list. Because your nose is the central feature of your face, any flaws, asymmetry, or exaggerated proportions have a large impact on confidence, and surgery has helped many patients feel more satisfied with their appearance.
If you’ve been curious about nose surgery, you’ll want to read on. We’re answering some of the most common questions we receive about rhinoplasty.
1. How much does rhinoplasty cost?
The cost of rhinoplasty in San Diego ranges from $12,500 to $20,000. Your final price will depend on the type of nose reshaping procedure you are having (rhinoplasty, septoplasty, tip-plasty, or a combination of procedures) and the extent of reshaping required to achieve your desired result.
Your final price includes your surgeon’s fee, all of your pre- and post-op visits, operating room time and supplies, anesthesiology, and any bandaging. Many of our patients opt to add in a complimentary procedure—such as a chin implant—at the same time or order to maximize results.
2. How long does swelling last after rhinoplasty?
Immediately after nose surgery, you’ll have noticeable bruising and swelling around the nose, but it should largely subside over the course of a few weeks. Residual puffiness after nose surgery can last for up to six months, but this is typically quite subtle.
While six months of swelling may sound scary, most patients report that they are the only ones who notice—and they love their results long before healing has completely finished.
3. When will I see rhinoplasty results?
You’ll first see appreciable rhinoplasty results soon after your bandages come off—especially if you had more dramatic changes made to the shape of your nose. More subtle refinements will not become apparent until swelling dissipates in the weeks after surgery. While it can technically take up to a year to see your final rhinoplasty results, you’ll be enjoying positive improvements in your nose’s shape long before then. In fact, most patients feel ready to take their new look public just a few weeks after surgery. Makeup can easily conceal any remaining bruising (we can recommend professional-grade concealers).
4. Is rhinoplasty worth it?
According to many of our rhinoplasty patients who left 5-star reviews, yes! Expertly performed nose reshaping can have a remarkable effect on the overall symmetry and harmony of the phase, bringing all of your features into balance and improving your overall look.
“The best thing about the procedure is the continual joy I get when I see myself in a mirror or photo! The confidence that I have in my nose and overall appearance is the gift that keeps on giving. I am in love with my nose post-rhinoplasty!” Real LJC rhinoplasty patient
Rhinoplasty patients from a range of backgrounds with varying reasons for having nose surgery report significant improvements in satisfaction with their appearance, translating to a boost in self-confidence. We often hear our patients say they finally feel like themselves when they look in the mirror!
5. How can you reduce swelling after rhinoplasty?
With any surgical procedure, some swelling is to be expected. That being said, there are a few things you can do to reduce swelling and improve your comfort—as long as your surgeon gives you the okay.
- Gently apply ice to swollen areas, taking care not to disturb any healing incisions or the areas of your nose that were reshaped. Ice can both calm swelling and improve your comfort, though it’s important that you ice the skin without causing harm. Never apply ice or an icepack directly to the skin; instead, wrap in a clean kitchen towel or t-shirt. Only apply ice for around 10-15 minutes at a time. You can also gently apply to puffy eyes.
- Sleep with your head elevated for at least a few weeks after surgery. This can help you avoid jostling your tender nose as you heal in addition to alleviating swelling and pressure.
- Drink water and rest as much as you can. Increasing your water intake helps your body keep fluids moving and reduces swelling. Taking the downtime you need allows your body’s involuntary healing systems to use a larger portion of energy, speeding up your rate of healing.
Visualize what rhinoplasty can do for you during a free San Diego rhinoplasty consultation
If you’ve been considering nose surgery but still have questions, we’d love to talk. Consultation with one of our friendly, board certified plastic surgeons at LJC is free. In addition to discussing your concerns, answering any questions you may have, and helping you explore your options, we can also help you get an idea of what results to expect with state-of-the-art computer imaging.
Contact us to get started. We can’t wait to meet you!