A few wrinkles aren’t going to take you down! You’ve made the decision and scheduled your first BOTOX or dermal fillers treatment. What now? Our San Diego medical spa clients often have questions about how to prepare for their injections and what they should do afterward. You probably do, too.
We want you to love your injectable results and have a smooth treatment experience. You can help make that happen. Here’s an overview of some things you can do before and after an injection treatment to enjoy your results as quickly as possible.
Before Your Injections
With millions of injectable treatments performed each year (7.8 million in 2020, to be exact), you can rest easy knowing that injectables are well-researched for safety and effectiveness. There are a few aftereffects, though, including bruising and minor bleeding at the injection site. The following can help minimize those aftereffects as well as reduce your risk of infection.
- Delay treatment until an active viral or bacterial infection has been resolved.
- Avoid treatment 2 weeks before and after vaccinations or dental work.
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and Omega 3 or fish oil supplements 10 to 12 days prior.
- You can begin Arnica tablets and eat pineapple 7 to 10 days prior. These contain bromelain, which speeds up metabolism for improved healing.
- Avoid alcohol 2 to 3 days prior. It can thin your blood and dry your skin, making your skin more susceptible to bleeding and bruising.
When you arrive here on the day of your treatment, our team will assist you with cleansing and disinfecting your face. For lip injections, you will also rinse with chlorhexidine mouthwash.
If you’re a little anxious about pain or discomfort during the procedure, we’ve got you covered. Any of our injectables clients can ask for an add-on option of PRO-NOX™, a self-administered nitrous oxide (laughing gas) system that helps you control your comfort.
After your injections, avoid any unnecessary contact with your skin. Don’t rub your injection site, and those who’ve had BOTOX injections should not lie down or bend over for the first 4 hours after treatment. Wait about 12 hours before applying makeup and 24 hours before applying any skincare products to your face.
For the first 48 hours post-treatment, avoid the following:
- Extreme cold or heat
- Strenuous physical activity
- Massaging the treated area(s)
If you have a little discomfort after the treatment, acetaminophen can help, but it’s a good idea to continue to avoid over-the-counter NSAIDS that can thin your blood.
Do you have more questions about what to do before your BOTOX, lip filler injections, or dermal filler treatments at La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre & Medical Spa? No problem, just ask! Give us a call at (858) 452-1981 to schedule your appointment or use our online form to request a consultation.