SmartGraft® FUE Hair Transplants San Diego
Most of us don’t think about how closely our hair is tied to our confidence—until we start losing it. While extremely common, hair loss can have a significant impact on a person’s appearance and self-esteem. And, whether we like it or not, hair loss can cause others to perceive us as older or less vibrant than we are. Now here’s the good news: You can restore your natural hair without major surgery, thanks to SmartGraft.
Available at La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre & Medical Spa, SmartGraft hair restoration makes reviving your hairline faster, easier, more precise, and less detectable than ever. There’s a reason so many men and women like you love it so much!
Before & After Photos
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
Case: 1 of 6
What Is SmartGraft?
SmartGraft is the latest technology in FUE (follicular unit extraction) hair transplants. It’s designed to quickly and precisely replenish hair in thinning or balding areas without a scalpel incision—that means no linear scar. In just a single session, using local anesthesia, our hair transplant team relocates healthy hair follicles from the back of your head to restore a natural hair pattern to thinning areas. That typically includes the crown for women and a receding hairline for men, although we’ll customize your procedure to treat the specific areas you need.
What Are the Benefits of SmartGraft?
The many benefits of SmartGraft include:
- Little-to-no downtime: Most people return to work within a couple of days with very few activity restrictions. You can even wash your hair after just 1 or 2 days!
- Virtually invisible scarring: Unlike older hair transplant procedures, which remove a strip of skin from the back of the head, SmartGraft extracts individual follicular units through tiny, pin-prick incisions. This dramatically reduces procedure risk and recovery time, and it means you can wear your hair however you want after SmartGraft without worrying about hiding a long scar.
- Enhanced hair transplant survival: SmartGraft protects follicles from start to finish, so you get the long-lasting results you want. Gentle suction prevents follicle damage during extraction. A protected chamber, equipped with a special cooling system, keeps the harvested follicles cool and moist—ideal conditions for survival while they await transplant. No other hair transplant technology uses this unique cooling system.
- A totally natural, low-maintenance look: With SmartGraft, you can treat your hair transplants just like your natural hair—because it is your natural hair. Cut, color, and style as you like, and never worry about your hair when you go swimming or during intimate encounters.
- Excellent for men and women: We’ll completely personalize your SmartGraft procedure to suit your needs. Whether you are suffering male pattern baldness or overall hair thinning (more typical in women), we’ll help you restore a naturally fuller head of hair.
Am I a Good Candidate for SmartGraft?
If you are bothered by male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), female pattern hair loss (FPHL), or another form of hair loss, SmartGraft is an excellent option to restore your hair. As a hair transplant procedure, it’s best for people who are experiencing moderate to progressive hair loss. Other factors that determine whether SmartGraft is right for you include your medical history, your expectations, and your personal goals.
Our hair transplant specialist, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hector Salazar-Reyes, will help you decide if SmartGraft is right for you at your free consultation.
How Do SmartGraft Hair Transplants Work?
SmartGraft maximizes the quantity and quality of hair follicle transplants while minimizing procedure time. Here’s how it works:
- Automated technology allows our hair transplant team to gently and quickly extract individual follicular units while also allowing them full control over the process.
- Immediately after extraction, the device transfers the follicle to a protected chamber that keeps it in optimal conditions for survival while it awaits transplantation.
- Finally, we transplant each follicular unit individually to fill in thinning or balding areas. This takes time, as we carefully place each follicular unit into specific points to achieve a totally natural hair pattern.
What Does the SmartGraft Procedure Feel Like?
Before beginning SmartGraft, we will inject a local anesthetic into the donor and recipient areas so you will not feel any pain during the procedure. We also can provide a mild sedative to help you relax. Before the procedure, we will shave a small area from the back of your head where the hair follicles will be extracted. The rest of your hair remains intact. The SmartGraft procedure takes about 5 hours for the average person.
What Is SmartGraft Recovery Like?
Following the procedure, most people return to desk work the very next day. You can usually resume exercise after about 1 week.
When Will I See My SmartGraft Results?
Your newly transplanted hair will grow back naturally in phases. You should notice new hair growth about 3 months after your SmartGraft procedure, with the most dramatic improvements occurring after about 6 months. Within a year, you will be enjoying normal, healthy hair growth.
Why Choose the LJC Hair Transplantation Center?
Many doctors offer hair transplants, but for the very best care, you need a specialist who understands your needs and has the skill and expertise to deliver lasting, natural results. At La Jolla Cosmetic, that specialist is board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hector Salazar-Reyes. People seeking hair restoration are among his favorite to work with, as they experience some of the most dramatic improvements in their self-confidence and outlook on life after their procedures.
“Dr. Salazar and his staff at LJC were very personable and helpful with answering all my questions and explaining the process from start to finish. They explained how to better care for my new hair to maximize the best results. I would definitely recommend anyone to this practice who is looking for the best.”
—Actual LJC Hair Restoration Review
In addition to 17+ years of medical and surgical training, Dr. Salazar trained side-by-side in Houston with Dr. Alfonso Barrera, one of the world’s most highly respected hair transplantation experts. There he mastered the latest technologies and aesthetic principles of hair restoration for men and women, including SmartGraft FUE to treat male and female pattern baldness, receding hairline, balding at the crown, and thinning temples.
Dr. Salazar personally designs and directs every hair restoration treatment plan. He and our highly trained hair transplant technicians work seamlessly together to make sure each person completes their SmartGraft procedure with the confidence that they are only a few months away from a fuller, natural head of hair!
The SmartGraft BOOST System, Only at LJC
At LJC, we’re famous for going above and beyond to ensure our patients get the best possible results. When you book your SmartGraft procedure with us, you’ll get the entire SmartGraft BOOST System:
- SmartGraft FUE hair restoration done by one of San Diego’s most highly trained hair restoration teams
- Personalized hair growth supplements to give your body what it needs for healthy hair growth
- Shampoo and products from Hair Restoration Laboratories, clinically proven to support healthy hair growth
How Much Do SmartGraft Hair Transplants Cost in San Diego?
The cost of SmartGraft at our San Diego practice is typically $7,000 to $14,000.. The final price of your SmartGraft procedure will depend on several factors, including:
- The number of balding or thinning areas you wish to treat
- The number of FUEs needed to achieve a satisfactory result
- Your personal goals
You will receive a specific, individual fee quote at your free personal consultation. Our fee quotes are good for 3 months, which gives you time to think about it and plan ahead.
LJC is happy to accept payments through several affordable financing plans. Learn more on our financing page.
Your Safety Is
Our #1 Priority
Since 1988, more than 36,000 patients have had safe, successful procedures at La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre & Medical Spa.
Learn How We're Keeping You Safe
A Few More FAQs About Hair Transplants
Q: Will I have to shave my head before the procedure?
A: No, you do not have to shave your head or get a “buzz cut.” We will shave small sections of the donor area on the back of your head during your procedure. If you wish to hide these areas, you can grow your hair longer in the weeks preceding the procedure.
Dr. Salazar can also refer you to salons in San Diego with stylists on staff who can perform haircuts that look great with the back of the head shaved, such as a top-heavy, vanishing blended transition.
Q: What is an FUE hair transplant?
A: FUE stands for “follicular unit extraction,” which is a hair transplant method that harvests hair in microscopic units. Each FUE contains about 1 to 4 hair follicles. This is a huge improvement over “strip” methods or older hair plugs, which often resulted in a segmented look. SmartGraft automates the FUE process, which not only speeds the procedure but also prevents damage to hair follicles, so each transplant is much more likely to survive.
Your Dream Starts Today
Ready to take the first step toward full, luscious hair? Request your free consultation online or call