Silicone or Saline Implants: It’s Your Choice
Your options for breast enlargement, breast lift with implant procedures, and breast implant revision have expanded considerably over the years with FDA approval of many newer breast implant options. And thanks to technological advances, implants are also safer than ever. We have a myriad of choices and are ready to help you find just the right breast implants for beautiful, personalized results.
Your Breast Implant Options: Saline vs. Silicone
At LJCSC, we primarily use shaped or round highly cohesive silicone gel implants, commonly known as “gummy bear” implants. Our board certified plastic surgeons recommend form stable silicone gel implants for their many advantages, but we also offer saline-filled implants for patients who would prefer this option.
While the online chatter may give the impression that one implant type is “best,” we believe that your body proportions, your desired look, your personal preferences, and even your age are more important considerations when choosing implants. Our San Diego plastic surgeons each have over 25 years of experience performing breast augmentations and tailor our implant recommendations to each individual. Your surgeon will collaborate with you to find which implant shape, projection, base width, and volume will fit you best. You’ll even be able to try on implant sizers and preview options with photos during an individual implant sizing & shaping session.
Saline Breast Implants
Saline breast implants are comprised of a silicone rubber outer shell that is filled with saline solution during breast augmentation surgery. Some of the benefits of saline breast implants are the ability to overfill and reduce the risk of implant visibility, the safeness of the sterile saline used, and the fact that incisions can be smaller.
While many women are choosing silicone implants for their more natural look and feel, saline implants can be a great, safe option for the right patients.
Gummy Bear Implants: The Latest Technology in Silicone Gel
The latest advancements in highly cohesive silicone gel have resulted in breast implants that are safer and more natural-looking than ever. These high strength, highly cohesive silicone gel breast implants are also the most durable breast implants available—but even though they are strong, they feel soft and natural in your body.
There are numerous advantages to choosing cohesive silicone gel implants, including:
- A lower rupture rate, which reduces the risk of a possible secondary surgery due to a ruptured implant
- An exterior design that reduces the likelihood of wrinkling and rippling which are important factors for maintaining a natural appearance in your body.
- We’ve found that the exterior design also reduces the likelihood you would ever feel the edges of your implants (i.e, they are less palpable).
Any implants can occasionally wrinkle or be palpable, but we feel that silicone gel implants produce the best results with the least likelihood of these issues.
See How a Gummy Bear Implant Moves!
This short video demonstrates how highly cohesive silicone keeps it together under pressure, but still has plenty of give:
Want to compare the feel of a gummy bear implant with other implant types for yourself? Contact us today for a free breast augmentation consultation!
Implant Shape Options
Three Projection Options (Round Implants Shown)*
*Not available in all styles
Learn More About Breast Implants
- Introduction: Talking About Breast Augmentation with Dr. Lori Saltz
- The History of Breast Implants
- The Evolution of Silicone Breast Implants
- Types of Saline Breast Implants
- Anatomical Factors To Consider With Your Surgeon
- All About Incisions: Choosing Your Incision Placement
- Implant Placement: Over or Under the Muscle?
- Breast Implants and Mammograms
- What Can Go Wrong With Breast Augmentation?
- What Is Capsular Contracture?
- Dr. Lori Saltz discusses Implant Options
Getting the Facts About Sientra
If you are considering breast augmentation or have scheduled your surgery for the near future, you may be curious about recent news regarding the voluntary suspension of breast implant manufacturer Sientra. Click here to learn more about what happened and find out how it impacts you.